Who will benefit
Technologists, Product Designers, Product Engineers, Product Managers, and Leaders interested in a Design thinking systems approach.
What you’ll learn
- How to accelerate the speed of digital innovation
- The technology fundamentals and cultural shifts needed to drive value
- The full stack development of the NewsKit platform, including design system using React
About this event
Now more than ever, the pace of digital transformation accelerates. As businesses strive to return to profitability, business leaders are relying on tech innovation to drive economic recovery.
In this session, we were joined by James Spencer, Head of Engineering at NewsUK. James took us through how NewsUK has delivered a platform, NewsKit, that has accelerated the speed of digital innovation. During the talk, James will discuss the platform’s three core products and the role business and technical agility have played in its success and share the technology fundamentals and cultural shifts that are needed across engineering and the wider business to drive value.
This talk covers full stack development with their platform, including design system using React, rendering platform using Next.js and API using graphQL.
- The Design System which is built on react, figma and completely open sourced, allowing engineering teams to ship quality products fast.
- The API using graphQL and microservices.
- The rendering platform which brings everything together, leveraging both the design system and API. It’s built on Next.js and has a modular design allowing for incremental feature adoption to avoid lengthy re-platforming. It provides a golden path for teams looking to spin up new web applications including pipelines and a selection of features.
About James Spencer
James Spencer is Head of Engineering for the Product Platforms team at News UK. He’s spent over a decade building systems for some of the UK’s most recognisable brands.
Outside of work, you’ll find him scouring London’s music scene or trying to perfect his pizza making.